Summer Reading 2019
This is a selection of resources for our 2019 Summer Reading program! Here you can access online registration for all ages, as well as logs that can be downloaded and printed at home for your convenience.
If you are signing up a child or teen, remember to drop by the library to get their goody bag!
2019 A Universe of Stories Activity Log
Complete the activities on the log as part of TCPL’s 2019 Summer Reading Program. Be sure to include the information indicated. Return this log to TCPL by Friday, July 12, 2019, at 5:00 PM to be entered for door prizes! Limit 1 log per child.
2019 A Universe of Stories Reading Log
Read across the galaxy with TCPL this summer! To use this log:
- Check off a planet (in order) for every 5 books you read (or 20 pages for older kids reading longer chapter books).
- Visit TCPL to write your name on a paper astronaut that you can move along our wall of planets to show how far you’ve read. (Be sure to move your astronaut on each visit if you’ve reached another planet!)
- Return your completed log to TCPL by Friday, July 12, 2019, at 5:00 PM to be entered for door prizes! (Feel free to complete as many logs as you like!)
Bedtime Math Summer of Numbers Chart
- Bedtime Math posts a wacky new math problem every day on their website and their free app.
- Every time kids do a Bedtime Math problem, add another star to their chart (available for print; see attachments)
- Complete the chart and return to TCPL to be entered for a prize drawing at the end of the summer!
Sign up your child (up to age 11) for our Children's Summer Reading Program!
Teens (ages 12-17), help us build our very own Solar System in the Library this summer! Like books, planets are very distinct; they each have their own unique twists and turns that give them their proper place in the galaxy.
This summer, we decided to create our own galaxy composed of planets designed specifically by you! Did we mention that there will be prizes? Each planet will be judged using the
following areas: color theme, texture, structure, and overall creativity. We will select not one but TWO winners!
Here’s how to participate:
* Read a book, any book, that your planet will be based off of (example: What would The Hunger Games look like as a planet?).
* Register and pick-up a white, paper lantern at the library (only one lantern will be given for each participant).
* Decorate your planet (We encourage innovation and creativity. You can paint it; attach or suspend things from it; alter the shape of the planet, etc.)
* Title your planet and complete the description card that you will receive at registration.
* Submit your plant and description card to a librarian for hanging (we will have a designated area in the library where all the planets will be
suspended in a solar system format).
Deadline to submit planets will be July 29th. Prizes awarded July 31st.
Teen Reading Log
Complete a reading log (read 8 books, comics, manga, etc. per log) and return it to the Taylor County Public Library; each returned log will act as a submission for our summer giveaways. But wait, that’s not all! For every teen program you attend during June and July, you will also gain an entry for prizes.
Deadline for reading log submissions: 7/13/2019 by 5pm.
Reading log prizes will be awarded July 16th.
Program attendance prizes will be awarded August 1st.
Teens (or parents of teens), use this link to sign up for our Teen Summer Reading program for ages 12-17!
Teen Walking Club Log
Neil Armstrong, after becoming the first American man to step on the Moon, once said that his mission was “One small step for man and one giant leap for mankind”. This summer, you will have the opportunity to “travel” the galaxy and even have the opportunity to win prizes for completing your journey. For every small step you take will count as one giant leap (1 mile to be exact). Below you will find a list of distances to walk. Once you’ve completed a mission, draw a check mark in the star next to the planet, moon, or spacecraft that corresponds. After completing each mission, submit this log to a librarian to be entered for prizes. The deadline to submit walking logs is Wednesday, July 31st.